Sanaa: A Yemeni military official says an overnight push by government troops to recapture an al Qaeda stronghold in the country`s south has killed 25 militants.
The official says the Army succeeded in regaining control over one district in Zinjibar but that the rest of the city is still in al Qaeda`s hands. Initial reports after fighting broke out late Thursday said 19 militants had died.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
A defense ministry statement on Friday said the offensive that started two weeks ago around another city in southern Abyan province, Lawder, has so far killed 250 al-Qaida militants and 37 Yemeni troops.
Al Qaeda seized several southern cities during Yemen`s yearlong political and security turmoil.