Yemen: 36 killed in fighting with al Qaeda
Sanaa: Yemeni officials say fresh clashes with al Qaeda fighters in the south have left at least 34 people dead, while a suspected US drone strike has killed two militants.
The officials say the drone attack took place in the central province of Bayda, killing a Somali and Yemeni militants.
Al Qaeda briefly ovverran parts of Bayda earlier this year.
Further south in Abyan province, fighting between Yemeni troops and al-Qaida fighters killed 12 soldiers and 22 al Qaeda militants.
The officials say the clashes took place some 10 kilometers (six miles) outside Jaar, a key town that has been under the control of militants since last year.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity in line with military regulations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- This is how billionaire Richard Branson looks after cheating death in a violent high-speed bike crash
- West Bengal hospital fire: Three killed, 50 children injured; Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia announced
- Astronomers find a 'dark' Milky Way
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 654—Abhi visits Pragya's place and meets her family!
- Fire kills at least 16 in Moscow printing works