Yemen: 40 militants killed in airstrikes, clashes
Sana’a: At least 40 militants linked to al Qaeda have been killed in two days of airstrikes and clashes with government forces, Yemen`s state news agency said on Tuesday.
The report by the SABA news agency said the government attacks began after militants tried to storm a military camp in the southern province of Abyan, where Islamist fighters have seized control of several towns.
The militant takeovers are part of widening chaos in Yemen since protests broke out in February calling for the ouster of President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who is being treated in Saudi Arabia for wounds sustained in an attack on his palace last month.
The SABA report added that two government soldiers were killed and 20 others injured in the Abyan fighting.
Al Qaeda`s followers in Yemen, known as Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, is considered one of the terror network`s most active branches and has been linked to several attempts on US targets, including the plot to bomb a Detroit-bound airliner in December 2009 and parcel bombs intercepted in Dubai and Europe last year.
The militant group leading the attacks in the Abyan area, Ansar al-Sharia, posted last month the names of 12 military officers it vowed to kill for taking part in crackdowns against its fighters.
In Saudi Arabia, the country`s foreign minister, Prince Saud al-Faisal, said the health of Yemen President`s is "generally good”. He gave no further details on Saleh`s condition or plans.
Al-Faisal was speaking in Riyadh at a joint news conference with British Foreign Secretary William Hague.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez