Yemen: 40 militants killed in airstrikes, clashes
Sana’a: At least 40 militants linked to al Qaeda have been killed in two days of airstrikes and clashes with government forces, Yemen`s state news agency said on Tuesday.
The report by the SABA news agency said the government attacks began after militants tried to storm a military camp in the southern province of Abyan, where Islamist fighters have seized control of several towns.
The militant takeovers are part of widening chaos in Yemen since protests broke out in February calling for the ouster of President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who is being treated in Saudi Arabia for wounds sustained in an attack on his palace last month.
The SABA report added that two government soldiers were killed and 20 others injured in the Abyan fighting.
Al Qaeda`s followers in Yemen, known as Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, is considered one of the terror network`s most active branches and has been linked to several attempts on US targets, including the plot to bomb a Detroit-bound airliner in December 2009 and parcel bombs intercepted in Dubai and Europe last year.
The militant group leading the attacks in the Abyan area, Ansar al-Sharia, posted last month the names of 12 military officers it vowed to kill for taking part in crackdowns against its fighters.
In Saudi Arabia, the country`s foreign minister, Prince Saud al-Faisal, said the health of Yemen President`s is "generally good”. He gave no further details on Saleh`s condition or plans.
Al-Faisal was speaking in Riyadh at a joint news conference with British Foreign Secretary William Hague.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj