Yemen airstrikes kill 30 militants; 8 soldiers die
Sana’a: Military and medical officials say airstrikes have killed 30 suspected al Qaeda-linked militants in southern Yemen. Eight soldiers also died in clashes in the area.
The officials say the strikes targeted militants near Zinjibar, the capital of Abyan province, early on Wednesday. They say 40 militants were also wounded in the operation, which was a "deadly blow" to the militants.
The officials say eight soldiers died in the Dufas area, close to Zinjibar. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorised to talk to the media.
Militants have used Yemen`s political turmoil to overrun Zinjibar and several towns in the south.
Government forces have been trying to dislodge them with airstrikes and ground troops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon