Yemen Army recaptures center of al Qaeda held city
Sanaa: Yemeni government troops have fought their way into the center of an al Qaeda held city in the country`s lawless south after a fierce, six-hour battle that ended early on Tuesday, military officials said.
The soldiers, backed by artillery and tanks, launched the push into Zinjibar, the provincial capital of Abyan, under the cover of darkness, the officials said.
By the time they made it to the heart of Zinjibar, dozens were killed and wounded on both sides in the battle, the officials said though they had no exact figures. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the media.
At least four Yemeni army tanks, which had previously been captured by al Qaeda fighters, were destroyed in the fighting, according to the officials.
Al Qaeda militants seized Zinjibar last May when fighters from the terror network`s Yemeni branch took advantage of the turmoil in the impoverished nation to capture several cities and towns in the south.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor