Yemen Army recaptures center of al Qaeda held city
Sanaa: Yemeni government troops have fought their way into the center of an al Qaeda held city in the country`s lawless south after a fierce, six-hour battle that ended early on Tuesday, military officials said.
The soldiers, backed by artillery and tanks, launched the push into Zinjibar, the provincial capital of Abyan, under the cover of darkness, the officials said.
By the time they made it to the heart of Zinjibar, dozens were killed and wounded on both sides in the battle, the officials said though they had no exact figures. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the media.
At least four Yemeni army tanks, which had previously been captured by al Qaeda fighters, were destroyed in the fighting, according to the officials.
Al Qaeda militants seized Zinjibar last May when fighters from the terror network`s Yemeni branch took advantage of the turmoil in the impoverished nation to capture several cities and towns in the south.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- Islamic State men were planning to attack police station in Hyderabad after making powerful bombs: Report
- Pakistani TV actor shot in Karachi
- As Virat Kohli and co prepare for WI tour, MS Dhoni enjoys bike ride in Ranchi rain
- Ramayana had another heroine besides SITA – Know more about her contributions
- Samajwadi Party 'goondaraj' in UP? Azam Khan slaps Project Engineer