Yemen arrests 11 Qaeda suspects
Sana’a: Yemeni security forces arrested 11 al Qaeda suspects in a residential area of the capital Sana’a, killing one man during the operation, the Defence Ministry`s 26sep.net news website has reported.
The man killed, who was the father of one of the suspects, opened fire on security forces, wounding one of them, before being shot dead, the website said.
One of the suspects also tried to resist but "all members of the cell were arrested”, it added.
Yemen began an intensified campaign against al Qaeda in late December as international pressure mounted after a failed attempt to blow up a US airliner on December 25 was claimed by the militant network`s Yemeni arm.
US Central Command chief General David Petraeus has said Yemen is the one part of the Middle East where al Qaeda remains a growing threat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside
- Monsoon session of UP assembly from today; GST Bill likely to be ratified
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!