Yemen arrests ‘dangerous’ al Qaeda leader
Sanaa: Security forces in southern Yemen have reportedly arrested a “dangerous” al Qaeda chief who took part in several attacks.
According to the state-run media, police said Sulaiman Hassan Mohammad Morshad Awadh, also known as Abu Osama Al Abiye, was “one of the most dangerous members of al Qaeda and involved in several terrorist operations.”
Police said that Awadh, whose name figured on a wanted list, was arrested in Zinjibar, capital of Abyan province, Gulf News reports.
Before a counter-offensive by the army earlier this year, al Qaeda held large swathes of southern Yemen, the report said.
But since its loss of a string of towns near the port city of Aden in June, most have fled into desert regions farther east, it added.
According to the report, Yemen-based al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), regarded as al Qaeda’s strongest regional wing, has mounted operations in Saudi Arabia and tried to launch attacks against the US.
Restoring stability in Yemen is a priority for Washington and its Gulf allies because of its strategic position next to top oil exporter Saudi Arabia and major shipping lanes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested