Yemen arrests man who threatened embassies: Ministry
Sana’a: Yemeni security forces have arrested a man in Sana’a who had threatened to blow up foreign embassies and assassinate Yemeni leaders, the Defence Ministry`s 26sep.net news website said on Saturday.
The man, who was not identified, was also in possession of a stolen car, the website said, citing a source in the Interior Ministry. It added that the case would be referred to a prosecutor after an investigation is completed.
The website did not say whether the man was a member of an organisation or acting alone, nor give any details on the threats.
Embassies in Yemen have faced a number of threats from al Qaeda militants in the past.
On December 24, 26sep.net said security forces had dismantled an al Qaeda cell planning to use suicide belts and car bombs to target the British embassy.
And both the US and British embassies closed on January 3 over fears of an al Qaeda attack, and remained shut for several days.
In March 2008, a policeman and a student were killed and 20 people were wounded in an attempt to bomb the US embassy in Sana’a.
Sixteen people were killed in a double car bomb attack outside the embassy in September.
The Yemeni government began a stepped-up campaign against al Qaeda in late December in the wake of the December 25 attempt to blow up a US airliner by a Nigerian man who was allegedly trained by al Qaeda militants in Yemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’