Yemen arrests Qaeda militants over officer`s death
Sana’a: Yemen has arrested four militants over the drive-by killing of a senior intelligence officer, including two suspects that police believe are linked to al Qaeda, security sources said on Saturday.
Two motorcycle gunmen shot dead Colonel Saleh Amtheib on Thursday as he relaxed outside his home after lunch. He was the second security officer gunned down in the southern Abyan province in less than a month.
Two of those arrested over the attack were previously suspected of belonging to al Qaeda, while the others had been unknown to authorities, the sources said. Security forces also confiscated a gun they said was used in the shooting.
Authorities had initially been uncertain whom to blame for the killing, the sources said. The officer had participated in the government`s battles against al Qaeda and also in a separate conflict with armed south Yemen separatists.
Yemen, neighbour to top oil exporter Saudi Arabia, has been a growing security concern for the West since a Yemen-based regional arm of al Qaeda claimed responsibility for an unsuccessful attempt to bomb a US-bound plane in December.
Yemen has stepped up security measures after accusing al Qaeda of a June 19 attack on the police intelligence building in the southern city of Aden, killing 11 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam