Yemen clashes kill 5 Qaeda militants
Sanaa: Clashes in southern Yemen have killed five al Qaida militants and one pro-government tribal fighter in the past 24 hours, a military official said.
The official said the fighting took place around the town of Shoqra in Abyan province, part of an ongoing government campaign against the militants.
The military also raided homes in the area looking for suspected al-Qaida fighters, the official said.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity, in line with government regulations.
He said another two tribal fighters and two soldiers were wounded.
The military and local tribes often fight alongside one another in joint efforts to keep al-Qaida out of towns and villages.
Government forces retook Shoqra from al-Qaida militants in May. The militants captured the town last year, taking advantage of the turmoil caused by a popular uprising.
The offensive that ultimately drove them out was coordinated with US military experts based at a southern Yemen air base.
The United States considers al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, the terror network`s offshoot in Yemen, to be the group`s most dangerous and active branch.
Separately in the eastern Marib province, witnesses say military airplanes dropped leaflets warning residents against offering shelter or safe haven to al-Qaida and calling on them to give information about the militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah