Yemen: Clashes kill at least 26 al Qaeda militants
Sana’a: Yemen`s Army battled al Qaeda militants in two contested southern towns, killing at least 26, the country`s Defence Ministry said on Tuesday, part of its weeks-long offensive against the militants.
In a separate development, sectarian clashes in northern Yemen have left at least 16 dead over the past two days.
Yemen`s government has claimed for weeks that it is on the verge of recapturing Zinjibar, capital of the southern Abyan province, that fell to militants over a year ago, and that it is pushing on to the al Qaeda stronghold of Jaar. Battles in the two places rage on.
In the latest fighting, the ministry reported intense overnight clashes between government troops backed by artillery in Zinjibar and nearby Qut that left 23 dead, including Pakistani and Somali nationals.
Also, fighting in the town of Jaar left 10 al Qaeda fighters dead or wounded, military officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to reporters.
To the east of Zinjibar, four al Qaeda militants were killed and one wounded while preparing a car bomb in the coastal town of Shaqra, an official said.
On Monday, two suicide bombers tried to hit Army barracks and checkpoints in the same town in an attempt to stop the military from advancing in the south, killing four Army-allied militiamen. Al Qaeda has increasingly used suicide bombers and car bombs to try to halt the military offensive in the south, which started escalating May 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!