Yemen court jails 7 Qaeda militants
Sana’a: A Yemeni court sentenced on Tuesday seven suspected al Qaeda members between five and ten years in jail after convicting them of plotting to attack foreign interests and tourists.
The seven were arrested while preparing explosives and monitoring tourist buses to attack them, according to police. Their trial began on October 17.
They were convicted of "plotting to form an armed gang to execute criminal acts targeting foreign tourists and interests and government instalments," according to the verdict.
Three of them, Hussein al-Marwalah, Mohammed al-Ghawly, and Hani al-Aleeni, were sentenced to 10 years in prison, while three others, Yossuf al-Hajjaji, Abdullah al-Matari, and Amin al-Najjar, were jailed seven years.
The seventh, Muteab al-Qadi, was sentenced to five years in prison.
Yemen has been the target of a number of attacks claimed by al Qaeda against foreign missions, tourist sites and oil installations. Four South Korean tourists died in March in a terrorist bombing in the historic city of Sham.
In March 2008, a schoolgirl and a policeman were killed when a bomb struck a girls` school near the US embassy. The State Department said the target was its mission in Sana’a.
The Yemeni government has intensified its military campaign against al Qaeda as international pressure mounted on Sana’a to clamp down on the militants who are believed to be regrouping in the impoverished country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow