Yemen court jails 7 Qaeda militants
Sana’a: A Yemeni court sentenced on Tuesday seven suspected al Qaeda members between five and ten years in jail after convicting them of plotting to attack foreign interests and tourists.
The seven were arrested while preparing explosives and monitoring tourist buses to attack them, according to police. Their trial began on October 17.
They were convicted of "plotting to form an armed gang to execute criminal acts targeting foreign tourists and interests and government instalments," according to the verdict.
Three of them, Hussein al-Marwalah, Mohammed al-Ghawly, and Hani al-Aleeni, were sentenced to 10 years in prison, while three others, Yossuf al-Hajjaji, Abdullah al-Matari, and Amin al-Najjar, were jailed seven years.
The seventh, Muteab al-Qadi, was sentenced to five years in prison.
Yemen has been the target of a number of attacks claimed by al Qaeda against foreign missions, tourist sites and oil installations. Four South Korean tourists died in March in a terrorist bombing in the historic city of Sham.
In March 2008, a schoolgirl and a policeman were killed when a bomb struck a girls` school near the US embassy. The State Department said the target was its mission in Sana’a.
The Yemeni government has intensified its military campaign against al Qaeda as international pressure mounted on Sana’a to clamp down on the militants who are believed to be regrouping in the impoverished country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader