Yemen court jails 7 Qaeda militants
Sana’a: A Yemeni court sentenced on Tuesday seven suspected al Qaeda members between five and ten years in jail after convicting them of plotting to attack foreign interests and tourists.
The seven were arrested while preparing explosives and monitoring tourist buses to attack them, according to police. Their trial began on October 17.
They were convicted of "plotting to form an armed gang to execute criminal acts targeting foreign tourists and interests and government instalments," according to the verdict.
Three of them, Hussein al-Marwalah, Mohammed al-Ghawly, and Hani al-Aleeni, were sentenced to 10 years in prison, while three others, Yossuf al-Hajjaji, Abdullah al-Matari, and Amin al-Najjar, were jailed seven years.
The seventh, Muteab al-Qadi, was sentenced to five years in prison.
Yemen has been the target of a number of attacks claimed by al Qaeda against foreign missions, tourist sites and oil installations. Four South Korean tourists died in March in a terrorist bombing in the historic city of Sham.
In March 2008, a schoolgirl and a policeman were killed when a bomb struck a girls` school near the US embassy. The State Department said the target was its mission in Sana’a.
The Yemeni government has intensified its military campaign against al Qaeda as international pressure mounted on Sana’a to clamp down on the militants who are believed to be regrouping in the impoverished country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days