Yemen intel chief escapes assassination bid
Aden: The intelligence chief of Yemen`s main
southern city of Aden has escaped an assassination bid by
unidentified gunmen, a security official said on Wednesday.
"Unknown gunmen opened fire on Aden`s intelligence chief,
General Ghazi Ahmed Ali, as he was returning from work late
yesterday, wounding two of his companions" who were
hospitalised, the official said.
It was the third such attempt to kill Ali.
In October, Al-Qaeda claimed responsibility of one of the
attempts in a statement issued from south-eastern Shebwa
province, one of its strongholds in the impoverished Arabian
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula and its local
affiliates, the Partisans of Sharia (Islamic law), have taken
advantage of a year of deadly protests against President Ali
Abdullah Saleh to bolster their presence in Shebwa and nearby
Abyan province in the south has meanwhile been the main
target of Al-Qaeda`s growing strength, with militants seizing
the provincial capital Zinjibar in May and several other towns
In a significant advance by the extremists towards the
capital on Sunday, Al-Qaeda militants swept into the town of
Rada, 130 kilometres southeast of Sanaa, and overran it within
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton yesterday described
the unrest in Yemen as a "major concern."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!