Yemen: Low key National day parade held
Sana’a: The National day parade of Yemen passed peacefully but in a sombre atmosphere on Tuesday without any unwanted incident, a day after a bomber killed 96 soldiers here during the rehearsal session.
President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi watched proceedings from behind bullet-proof glass amid intense security and threats of further militant violence.
Addressing the crowd, military chief Ali al-Ashwal said there would be no let up in the "war" on al Qaeda.
Al Qaeda`s branch in Yemen said one of its members carried out the attack.
Mr Hadi was joined by military chiefs, leading government figures and foreign representatives at the ceremony at the Aviation Academy, but did not speak.
Only police and air force cadets participated and the ceremony was cut to one hour, with a scheduled fly-past cancelled. The original intention had been to hold a parade in a major square in the capital.
National Unity Day marks the reunification of north and south Yemen in 1990.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ