Yemen: Low key National day parade held
Sana’a: The National day parade of Yemen passed peacefully but in a sombre atmosphere on Tuesday without any unwanted incident, a day after a bomber killed 96 soldiers here during the rehearsal session.
President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi watched proceedings from behind bullet-proof glass amid intense security and threats of further militant violence.
Addressing the crowd, military chief Ali al-Ashwal said there would be no let up in the "war" on al Qaeda.
Al Qaeda`s branch in Yemen said one of its members carried out the attack.
Mr Hadi was joined by military chiefs, leading government figures and foreign representatives at the ceremony at the Aviation Academy, but did not speak.
Only police and air force cadets participated and the ceremony was cut to one hour, with a scheduled fly-past cancelled. The original intention had been to hold a parade in a major square in the capital.
National Unity Day marks the reunification of north and south Yemen in 1990.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog