Yemen: Protesting police storm ministry; 15 killed
Sanaa: Policemen loyal to Yemen`s ousted leader Ali Abdullah Saleh stormed the country`s Interior Ministry on Tuesday, setting off clashes that left at least 15 people killed and 43 wounded, according to the country`s security operations room.
The incident underlined the volatility of the situation in Yemen nearly six months after Saleh stepped down. It points to the enduring ability of his supporters, many of whom still hold key positions, to cause unrest in one of the Arab world`s poorest nations.
A security official said the attack followed a demonstration outside the ministry in the capital Sanaa by policemen loyal to the former president, who stepped down earlier this year after a popular uprising.
The policemen were later joined by pro-Saleh tribesmen, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the media.
The demonstrators accused the current government of corruption.
Yemen`s security operations room said in a report that at least 15 people were killed in the clashes, according to figures from the police and military hospitals.
The security official said Saleh`s nephew Yahia Mohammed Abdullah Saleh, who commands the police`s Central Security forces, sent additional policemen to participate in the demonstration shortly before the ministry was stormed.
The ministry is in charge of the police force and its building is located on the road to the airport.
The policemen loyal to Saleh remained in control of the building hours after they stormed it. They also controlled nearby streets, said the official.
Witnesses said the headquarters of the ministry was looted, with people walking out with computer sets and furniture to little interference from security in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon