Yemen: Protesting police storm ministry; 15 killed
Sanaa: Policemen loyal to Yemen`s ousted leader Ali Abdullah Saleh stormed the country`s Interior Ministry on Tuesday, setting off clashes that left at least 15 people killed and 43 wounded, according to the country`s security operations room.
The incident underlined the volatility of the situation in Yemen nearly six months after Saleh stepped down. It points to the enduring ability of his supporters, many of whom still hold key positions, to cause unrest in one of the Arab world`s poorest nations.
A security official said the attack followed a demonstration outside the ministry in the capital Sanaa by policemen loyal to the former president, who stepped down earlier this year after a popular uprising.
The policemen were later joined by pro-Saleh tribesmen, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the media.
The demonstrators accused the current government of corruption.
Yemen`s security operations room said in a report that at least 15 people were killed in the clashes, according to figures from the police and military hospitals.
The security official said Saleh`s nephew Yahia Mohammed Abdullah Saleh, who commands the police`s Central Security forces, sent additional policemen to participate in the demonstration shortly before the ministry was stormed.
The ministry is in charge of the police force and its building is located on the road to the airport.
The policemen loyal to Saleh remained in control of the building hours after they stormed it. They also controlled nearby streets, said the official.
Witnesses said the headquarters of the ministry was looted, with people walking out with computer sets and furniture to little interference from security in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days