Yemen security official assassinated in Sana`a
Sana’a: A Yemeni intelligence officer was assassinated in a drive-by shooting by unidentified gunmen on Thursday in the capital, Sana’a, in the latest attack against security forces in the country, officials said.
Officials say at least 55 military, intelligence and police officers have been killed in Yemen since mid-2011. Most of the assassinations focused on individuals working in counterterrorism operations.
The officials say Mohammed El-Fil was shot in the head by assailants on a motorbike. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to reporters.
Last month, two senior officers were assassinated by militants in a drive-by shooting just outside the capital.
Officials believe that al Qaeda is waging a retaliation campaign against top officials after a military offensive pushed its militants out of their strongholds in southern Yemen.
Meanwhile, Yemen`s Air Force, backed by US drones, has struck militant hideouts in several areas of Yemen. The latest airstrike was on Wednesday when local tribesmen said an aircraft targeted a vehicle outside of a village on the outskirts of Sana’a, killing two.
Local tribal officials said the airstrike was a rare attack near Sana’a, in the Sanhan district, hometown of the former longtime President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
The officials said the airstrike killed Adnan al-Qadi, a militant previously detained in relation to a US embassy bombing in Sana’a in 2008. The other dead man was not identified. The tribal officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to discuss the raids with reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened