Yemen security official assassinated in Sana`a
Sana’a: A Yemeni intelligence officer was assassinated in a drive-by shooting by unidentified gunmen on Thursday in the capital, Sana’a, in the latest attack against security forces in the country, officials said.
Officials say at least 55 military, intelligence and police officers have been killed in Yemen since mid-2011. Most of the assassinations focused on individuals working in counterterrorism operations.
The officials say Mohammed El-Fil was shot in the head by assailants on a motorbike. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to reporters.
Last month, two senior officers were assassinated by militants in a drive-by shooting just outside the capital.
Officials believe that al Qaeda is waging a retaliation campaign against top officials after a military offensive pushed its militants out of their strongholds in southern Yemen.
Meanwhile, Yemen`s Air Force, backed by US drones, has struck militant hideouts in several areas of Yemen. The latest airstrike was on Wednesday when local tribesmen said an aircraft targeted a vehicle outside of a village on the outskirts of Sana’a, killing two.
Local tribal officials said the airstrike was a rare attack near Sana’a, in the Sanhan district, hometown of the former longtime President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
The officials said the airstrike killed Adnan al-Qadi, a militant previously detained in relation to a US embassy bombing in Sana’a in 2008. The other dead man was not identified. The tribal officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to discuss the raids with reporters.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way