Yemen security official assassinated in Sana`a
Sana’a: A Yemeni intelligence officer was assassinated in a drive-by shooting by unidentified gunmen on Thursday in the capital, Sana’a, in the latest attack against security forces in the country, officials said.
Officials say at least 55 military, intelligence and police officers have been killed in Yemen since mid-2011. Most of the assassinations focused on individuals working in counterterrorism operations.
The officials say Mohammed El-Fil was shot in the head by assailants on a motorbike. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to reporters.
Last month, two senior officers were assassinated by militants in a drive-by shooting just outside the capital.
Officials believe that al Qaeda is waging a retaliation campaign against top officials after a military offensive pushed its militants out of their strongholds in southern Yemen.
Meanwhile, Yemen`s Air Force, backed by US drones, has struck militant hideouts in several areas of Yemen. The latest airstrike was on Wednesday when local tribesmen said an aircraft targeted a vehicle outside of a village on the outskirts of Sana’a, killing two.
Local tribal officials said the airstrike was a rare attack near Sana’a, in the Sanhan district, hometown of the former longtime President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
The officials said the airstrike killed Adnan al-Qadi, a militant previously detained in relation to a US embassy bombing in Sana’a in 2008. The other dead man was not identified. The tribal officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to discuss the raids with reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi