Yemen: Seven soldiers killed in suicide attack
Aden: A suicide car bomber blew up his explosives-laden vehicle near an army base in Yemen`s southern province of Abyan Friday morning, leaving at least seven soldiers dead and three others injured, an official told Xinhua.
The suicide attacker detonated his booby-trapped car near the gate of the 115th Armored Army Brigade in the coastal town of Shakra, killing at least seven soldiers and injuring three others at the scene, the official said on condition of anonymity.
"It appeared that the suicide bomber was attempting to blew up his booby-trapped car amongst the troops inside the army base, but he failed to reach the target," he said. "The blast was a terrorist attack. Many of the injured soldiers were in rooms inside the army base."
Local residents told Xinhua that "the explosion was followed by indirect fire mortars that aimed at the military base."
A military official said the base was cordoned off and snipers were deployed along routes leading to it, he said on condition of anonymity.
The blast is the latest in a series of bombings and suicide attacks targeting security personnel and government institutions across the country`s restive southern regions.
No one has so far claimed responsibility for the suicide attack, though the car bombings bear the hallmark of al Qaeda militants.
Yemen`s military launched a month-long offensive earlier this year and forced al-Qaida militants to flee several of their bastions in the country`s restive southern and eastern provinces, which they captured during last year`s political turmoil.
The resurgent Yemeni branch of al Qaeda, which has increased its attacks on both foreign and government targets in the Arabian Peninsula state, vowed to carry out more suicide attacks to take revenge.
Fighting al Qaeda militants in the restive south is one of the challenges confronting Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, who has promised to launch a national dialogue to settle disputes among all political factions and uproot the Yemeni branch of Qaeda with the help of the United States and neighboring Saudi Arabia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India