Aden: Yemeni security forces have
thwarted a bomb attack in a southern city that is being
prepared to host the 20th Gulf Football Cup, authorities said.
Police in Aden arrested a man who was caught placing a
plastic bag containing 1,800 grams of dynamite in the city`s
"vital installations," the interior ministry said in a
statement late yesterday.
Following yesterday`s arrest, officers detained six
accomplices based on his confession, and are hunting for
another two members of a group suspected of "sabotage."
Separately, the trial of five Yemenis accused of
attacking a sports club in the city earlier this month began
The five were accused of placing explosives at Al-Wahda
club in the Sheikh Othman area of Aden, wounding 17 people,
three of whom later died.
They denied the charges and requested access to lawyers.
The court set the next hearing for Wednesday to allow for
The October 11 attack, for which responsibility was not
claimed, threw doubts on Yemen`s ability to stage the regional
Gulf Cup tournament from November 22 to December 5 in Aden and
The two provinces hosting the competition involving
Yemen, Iraq and six Gulf states have seen an increasing number
of Al-Qaeda attacks, although Aden has generally been spared
from violence that has plagued other areas of the south.
Aden`s security chief General Qiran Abdullah said
yesterday that "all necessary measures... to ensure security
in the provinces of Aden, Abyan, and Lahij during the Gulf
Cup," had been taken, the defence ministry reported.