Yemen: Toll from al Qaeda bombing rises to 45
Sanaa: A suspected al Qaeda suicide bomb attack on a funeral service killed 45 people in a stronghold of the militants in southern Yemen, security and medical officials said on Sunday.
The bombing late Sunday targeted a funeral service attended by members of civilian militias that helped Yemen`s Army in a two-month campaign to recapture the town of Jaar from al Qaeda in June.
The US considers the Yemen branch of al Qaeda as the most dangerous in the terror network. It is blamed for several unsuccessful attempts to carry out attacks in the US American advisers have been helping Yemen`s military in its campaign, and locals often credit the US with carrying out drone airstrikes against the militants. The US rarely comments on its role in Yemen.
Yemen`s state news agency said 30 died in yesterday`s attack and another 40 people were wounded. But a security official and a medical official said 45 people were killed in the attack. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to reporters.
SABA said most of the victims were members of the civilian militias allied with the Army.
Al Qaeda militants took over Jaar and other towns in the south of Yemen during the security vacuum that accompanied last year`s protests against then-President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
Saleh stepped down in February, and his successor, President Abed Rabo Mansour Hadi, pledged to restore his troops` hold on the south. The military has received help from local tribesmen, many of whom opposed al Qaeda`s hold on their towns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo