Yemen: Toll from al Qaeda bombing rises to 45
Sanaa: A suspected al Qaeda suicide bomb attack on a funeral service killed 45 people in a stronghold of the militants in southern Yemen, security and medical officials said on Sunday.
The bombing late Sunday targeted a funeral service attended by members of civilian militias that helped Yemen`s Army in a two-month campaign to recapture the town of Jaar from al Qaeda in June.
The US considers the Yemen branch of al Qaeda as the most dangerous in the terror network. It is blamed for several unsuccessful attempts to carry out attacks in the US American advisers have been helping Yemen`s military in its campaign, and locals often credit the US with carrying out drone airstrikes against the militants. The US rarely comments on its role in Yemen.
Yemen`s state news agency said 30 died in yesterday`s attack and another 40 people were wounded. But a security official and a medical official said 45 people were killed in the attack. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to reporters.
SABA said most of the victims were members of the civilian militias allied with the Army.
Al Qaeda militants took over Jaar and other towns in the south of Yemen during the security vacuum that accompanied last year`s protests against then-President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
Saleh stepped down in February, and his successor, President Abed Rabo Mansour Hadi, pledged to restore his troops` hold on the south. The military has received help from local tribesmen, many of whom opposed al Qaeda`s hold on their towns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India