Yemen troops capture al Qaeda stronghold
Sana`a: The Yemeni military has recaptured the southern city of al-Shaqra, considered a stronghold of the al Qaeda.
This is the third city retaken from militants who had captured them more than a year ago.
Among the retreating militants was Jalal al-Baleidi, also known as Abu Hamza al-Zinjibari, leader of the Ansar al Sharia (Partisans of Islamic Law) group in Abyan.
The US has helped the government offensive that began more than a month ago. Government troops have taken back militant strongholds of Jaazr and Zinjibar.
Yemeni soldiers killed 40 militants on Thursday.
The US has used drones and military training to help Yemen combat Islamist militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM