Yemen troops capture al Qaeda stronghold
Sana`a: The Yemeni military has recaptured the southern city of al-Shaqra, considered a stronghold of the al Qaeda.
This is the third city retaken from militants who had captured them more than a year ago.
Among the retreating militants was Jalal al-Baleidi, also known as Abu Hamza al-Zinjibari, leader of the Ansar al Sharia (Partisans of Islamic Law) group in Abyan.
The US has helped the government offensive that began more than a month ago. Government troops have taken back militant strongholds of Jaazr and Zinjibar.
Yemeni soldiers killed 40 militants on Thursday.
The US has used drones and military training to help Yemen combat Islamist militants.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Priyanka Chopra's dinner date with 'Baywatch' cast! View in pic
- Updated WhatsApp with 'call back', voice mail, video calling features coming soon!
- Ancient Hindu temple reopens after 27 years in Srinagar, Kashmiri Pandits jubilant
- AgustaWestland yet to return entire down payment made by India for VVIP choppers: Report
- This is how Priyanka Chopra spends her day off from 'Baywatch' sets! Check out in pics