Yemen warns US military intervention could strengthen Qaeda
Sanaa (Yemen): US military intervention in
Yemen to help fight al-Qaeda militants could backfire and
strengthen the jihadists believed behind the botched attack on
a US airliner, a top Yemeni official said on Thursday.
"Any intervention or direct (military) action by the
United States could strengthen the al-Qaeda network and not
weaken it," deputy prime minister for defence and security
affairs Rashed Al-Aleemi told a press conference.
"Our position is clear; we will fight and chase the
al-Qaeda group depending on Yemeni forces and security
agencies (alone)," he said.
Aleemi however said that Yemen needs the United States to
help in training Yemeni counter-terrorism units.
"Since al-Qaeda is a global organisation that threatens
international stability, all countries in the world, headed by
the United States, must cooperate to confront them," he said.
"All we need from the United States is training and
providing weapons and equipment to counter-terrorism units and
they are capable of liquidating al-Qaeda and all terror
elements," Aleemi said.
Aleemi said that the alleged assailant, Umar Farouk
Abdulmutallab had met with radical US-Yemeni cleric Anwar
al-Awlaqi while in Yemen.
"The Nigerian hid in Shabwa area in Wadi Rafadh (east of
Sanaa) where he met Awlaqi and Mohammad Omair who was killed
in the air raid on Wadi Rafadh," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened