Yemeni air force bombs Shi`ite rebels after ceasefire collapses
Sanaa: The Yemeni air force bombed Shi`ite Muslim fighters north of Sanaa on Saturday in fighting that caused "a large number of casualties", local officials said, after a truce reached last month between the insurgents and government forces collapsed.
Houthi Shi`ite fighters, officially known as Ansarullah, blamed army units linked to the rival Sunni-Muslim Islah party for breaking the June 23 ceasefire on Friday when government troops advanced on an area in al-Jouf province.
A Yemeni government official said the army`s advance on the town of al-Safra in the province north east of Sanaa was prompted by the failure of Houthi fighters to vacate positions in the area in compliance with the ceasefire.
Tribal sources in al-Jouf province, which is partly controlled by the Shi`ite Houthi rebels, said at least 18 people - 10 Houthis, five tribesmen and three soldiers - were killed in clashes on Friday.
The fighting later expanded to the adjacent Omran province, where the Yemeni air force flew sorties and bombed Houthi positions around the provincial capital early on Saturday.
Local officials gave no precise figures for the number of casualties from the air strikes and fighting.
Despite appearing to falter after it took effect, the ceasefire had largely held with few reports of violations.
US allied Yemen, an impoverished country of 25 million that shares a long border with the world`s top oil exporter Saudi Arabia, has been in turmoil since 2011 when mass protests forced veteran President Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down.
At least 200 people have been killed this year in battles pitting the Houthis - named after the tribe of their leader - against the government and Sunni tribal allies. Officials say the Houthis, who have fought short but devastating wars with government forces since 2004, are getting weapons from Iran.
The Houthis deny this, saying they seek autonomy and less US interference in Yemen`s affairs. The fighting in northern Yemen, which has taken on a sectarian tone, has further unsettled a country struggling to overcome many problems, including a secessionist movement in its restive south and the nationwide spread of al Qaeda insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon