Yemeni army kill ten al Qaeda militants
Aden: Yemeni soldiers killed 10 al Qaeda militants when they attacked a military camp outside the Islamist-controlled city of Zinjibar on Monday night.
"The 10 militants were killed by heavy shells before they could make it to the military camp," an army spokesman said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
The dead included a senior al Qaeda militant who was sought by authorities.
"His name is Ali Saeed Jameel and he`s from Mareb. He`s a leader in al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula," the official said.
Government troops launched an offensive earlier this month to recapture Zinjibar, the capital of southern Abyan province, from Islamists who seized it in May. The region lies east of the strategic Bab al-Mandab strait, through which some 3 million barrels of oil are shipped daily.
While unrest mounts in Abyan, protests demanding President Ali Abdullah Saleh leave office have entered their sixth month, paralyzing several cities and pushing the country into political limbo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues