Yemeni authorities foil attacks on foreigners
Sanaa: A top Yemeni security official says authorities have uncovered at least 13 al Qaeda plots targeting foreign diplomats, embassies and senior military and government officials in the capital of Sanaa and other cities.
The official says authorities were tipped off by captured al Qaeda members. He says they gave information about sleeper cells plotting a string of assassinations, bombings and abductions of foreign diplomats in the capital, as well as cities in troubled southern Yemen.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity today because he was not authorized to brief reporters.
Al Qaeda is trying to hit back after a two-month Yemeni military offensive drove the militants out of several main strongholds in the south. Al Qaeda took advantage of internal turmoil and a security vacuum to capture parts of southern Yemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city