Yemeni Prez applies for US visa for treatment
Washington: Yemeni President Ali Abdullah
Saleh has applied for a US visa for medical treatment, but the
Obama Administration hasn`t decided on it, a State Department
"We`re continuing to consider President Saleh`s request
to enter the country for the sole purpose of seeking medical
treatment... the permission has not been granted yet. We`re
still considering his request," State department spokesman
Mark Toner told reporters.
However, according to media reports here, US officials
have assured Yemen that Saleh would be granted visa without
"We were informed yesterday from the American Embassy
about the arrival of the visa," Sultan al-Barakani, a senior
ruling party official in Yemen, was quoted as saying by The
"They called us again today and confirmed the visa. And
they requested to know the date of the travel and the route,"
he said, adding that no condition was attached to it.
"I can`t get into the details of visa requests. Just
suffice it to say that the purpose would be for medical
treatment," Toner said in response to a question.
Saleh has ruled his country for more than three decades;
but is now facing popular revolt against his rule. In June,
Saleh suffered serious wounds on the palace.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split