Yemeni Prez applies for US visa for treatment
Washington: Yemeni President Ali Abdullah
Saleh has applied for a US visa for medical treatment, but the
Obama Administration hasn`t decided on it, a State Department
"We`re continuing to consider President Saleh`s request
to enter the country for the sole purpose of seeking medical
treatment... the permission has not been granted yet. We`re
still considering his request," State department spokesman
Mark Toner told reporters.
However, according to media reports here, US officials
have assured Yemen that Saleh would be granted visa without
"We were informed yesterday from the American Embassy
about the arrival of the visa," Sultan al-Barakani, a senior
ruling party official in Yemen, was quoted as saying by The
"They called us again today and confirmed the visa. And
they requested to know the date of the travel and the route,"
he said, adding that no condition was attached to it.
"I can`t get into the details of visa requests. Just
suffice it to say that the purpose would be for medical
treatment," Toner said in response to a question.
Saleh has ruled his country for more than three decades;
but is now facing popular revolt against his rule. In June,
Saleh suffered serious wounds on the palace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal