Yemeni Prez applies for US visa for treatment
Washington: Yemeni President Ali Abdullah
Saleh has applied for a US visa for medical treatment, but the
Obama Administration hasn`t decided on it, a State Department
"We`re continuing to consider President Saleh`s request
to enter the country for the sole purpose of seeking medical
treatment... the permission has not been granted yet. We`re
still considering his request," State department spokesman
Mark Toner told reporters.
However, according to media reports here, US officials
have assured Yemen that Saleh would be granted visa without
"We were informed yesterday from the American Embassy
about the arrival of the visa," Sultan al-Barakani, a senior
ruling party official in Yemen, was quoted as saying by The
"They called us again today and confirmed the visa. And
they requested to know the date of the travel and the route,"
he said, adding that no condition was attached to it.
"I can`t get into the details of visa requests. Just
suffice it to say that the purpose would be for medical
treatment," Toner said in response to a question.
Saleh has ruled his country for more than three decades;
but is now facing popular revolt against his rule. In June,
Saleh suffered serious wounds on the palace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video