Yemeni Prez assures Obama to protect US citizens
Washington: Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi has apologised for the attack on the US embassy in Sana`a, and assured to protect American citizens in the country during a telephone conversation with US President Barack Obama.
The two leaders had a conversation on Thursday after anti-US protests spread in Yemen with angry protestors attacking the US embassy. Three persons died in the conflict.
"I do apologise to US President Barack Obama and the people of the United States for the aggressive attack on the US embassy in Sanaa," state-run Saba news agency quoted Hadi as saying in a brief presidential statement.
The White House in a statement said that Hadi assured Obama of taking every step to ensure the protection of Americans in Yemen.
"President Hadi committed to doing everything possible to protect American citizens in Yemen, and said he had deployed additional security forces around the US embassy," the White House said.
During the call, Obama discussed the assault on the US embassy in Sana`a and expressed concern about the security of American personnel and diplomatic facilities in Yemen.
"Obama thanked President Hadi for his swift condemnation of today`s (Thursday) violence, and welcomed the announcement that an investigation into the incident is already underway," the White House said.
Obama expressed appreciation for the cooperation the US has received from Yemeni government and underscored the importance of working together to ensure the security of US personnel going forward.
Obama reiterated his rejection of any efforts to denigrate Islam, and emphasised that there is never any justification for the current violence.
"President Obama concluded the call by expressing his appreciation for the strong partnership between our two nations and reaffirming our commitment to supporting the Yemeni government and people during their historic transition," the White House said.
In the last 24 hours, following the outbreak of protests in the region, Obama has spoken to Presidents of Afghanistan, Libya and Egypt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’