Yemenis hold rival protests
Sanaa: Tens of thousands of opponents and
supporters of embattled Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh
held rival rallies following prayers on the first Friday of
the Muslim fasting Ramadan month.
"Our revolution is popular, and we will continue
peacefully" chanted large masses of anti-regime protesters who
gathered in Sanaa`s Sittin Street for a rally entitled
"peaceful until victory," a news agency correspondent reported.
"The tyrant will go, and the people will stay,"
chanted the crowds that organisers put at around 250,000.
Large anti-regime protests were also held across
In Taez, Yemen`s second largest city, a mass protest
was held in Freedom Square, calling for an end of Saleh`s
regime and insisting on following peaceful ways to achieve the
goals of their protest.
Meanwhile, tens of thousands of his loyalists rallied
at Sanaa`s Sabeen Square renewing allegiance to Saleh in a
rally titled the "Friday of compassion."
"The people want Ali Abdullah Saleh" they chanted as
many carried posters of him and Saudi monarch Abdullah as a
sign of gratitude for providing medical care for Saleh.
The veteran leader has been in a Saudi hospital since
June after he was wounded in a bomb attack on his Sanaa
compound, but he has refused to pass the reins of power to his
Protests erupted in the south Arabian Peninsula nation
in January demanding the ouster of Saleh, who has been in
office since 1978.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...