Yes to adult stem cells, no embryonic: Pope
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has reaffirmed his opposition to embryonic stem cell research, saying it`s morally wrong to destroy an embryo no matter how beneficial the resulting treatment is.
Benedict made the comments on Saturday to participants of a Vatican conference on adult stem cells convened under an unusual new partnership between the Vatican`s culture office and a small US biotech firm, NeoStem Inc.
Church teaching holds that life begins at conception. As a result, the Vatican opposes embryonic stem cell research because embryos are destroyed in the process. It supports research using adult stem cells.
Benedict said: "The destruction of even one human life can never be justified in terms of the benefit that it might conceivably bring to another."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress