Yoga fun at White House Easter Egg Roll
Washington: It was a day of fun and games at the White House with thousands of children joining the annual White House Easter Egg Roll with some yoga and dancing to promote healthy and active living.
With the "Be Healthy, Be Active, Be You!" theme, other activities on the South Lawn included obstacle courses, playing sports with professional athletes, including Indian-American hockey player Ajai Dhadwal and of course, the traditional egg roll.
Dhadwal, 20, a resident of California, has been a member of the US national team.
"Come enjoy a session of yoga from professional instructors," read an announcement listing the items in the "Eggtivity Zone" showing the kids easy, fun ways to stay active and fit.
With viral-video star "Kid President," American Idol`s Jessica Sanchez, and the Easter Bunny at their side, President Barack Obama, first lady Michelle Obama and their daughters Malia and Sasha kicked off the day-long fun event.
"It`s great to have everyone here this morning. We are so excited," Michelle Obama said from the Blue Room balcony. "The Easter Egg Roll is the biggest event that we have here on the South Lawn of the White House each year."
The first family then headed over to cheer on some of the youngest visitors as they raced down the lawn in the Egg Roll, according to the White House blog.
Obama and family dog Bo then made their way to the Storytime Stage where he gave a dramatic reading of "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom", calling it "one of my favourite books."
Next up for the President was a drop by at the White House basketball court, where he joined some of the Washington Wizards in throwing the ball around with kids.
Michelle Obama stopped by the Kids Kitchen stage in the Play With Your Food section, where top chefs were giving families tips on cooking healthy meals at home, and offering demonstrations on how to prepare some of their favourite simple dishes.
The First Lady joined chef Anne Burrell and Al Roker on the stage before making her way over to the Storytime Stage to listen in as Malia and Sasha read "Brown Bear Brown Bear, What do you See," by Bill Martin Jr. to the gathered children.
Mrs Obama then sat with Bo to read "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" by Judi Barrett, and talked with the kids about the message of the popular picture book.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read