Yudhoyono wins Indonesian Presidential Election
Jakarta: Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono won the country`s July 8 Presidential Election with 60.8 percent of the votes, the General Elections Commission said.
Yudhoyono collected nearly 74 million votes to win a second five-year term, the commission said on its website while reporting its final tally of the ballots.
His rivals, former president Megawati Sukarnoputri and Vice President Jusuf Kalla, had 26.8 percent and 12.4 percent of the votes respectively, the commission said.
Representatives of Megawati and Kalla refused to attend the commission`s plenary meeting Thursday night to decide on the final tally, arguing that the election body had yet to address their complaints of irregularities in the voter rolls and other allegations of cheating.
The election results are to be formally announced on Saturday, and candidates then have 72 hours to challenge them.
If challenges fail, Yudhoyono would take oath in October.
Yudhoyono, 59, has been credited with some successes in his first term, including stabilising the economy, cracking down on deep-rooted graft and bringing peace to the rebellious Aceh province.
Analysts said his resounding victory gives him a stronger mandate to pick professionals for his next cabinet and push through reforms as he faces a daunting task of tackling the effects of the global economic crisis.
Last week`s bombings on two luxury hotels in Jakarta, which killed nine people including two suspected suicide bombers, have raised fears of a return of instability to the world`s most populous Muslim nation after a few years of calm.
Police suspect the attacks were the work of Islamic extremists linked to Jemaah Islamiyah, a militant group.
Experts hailed this month`s peaceful election as an indication of how Indonesia has come a long way since the turmoil that marked former dictator Suharto`s departure in 1998.
A decade ago, South-East Asia`s largest economy was in shambles, being hard-hit by the region`s 1997-98 financial crisis.
Until a few years ago, Indonesia still grappled with a separatist insurgency in Aceh, deadly bombings carried out by Islamic militants and Muslim-Christian violence in the east of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo