Zardari joins Chinese Muslims to celebrate Eid
Beijing: Pakistani President Asif Ali
Zardari today joined millions of Chinese Muslims in the
troubled Xinjiang province to celebrate Eid.
Zardari, who arrived in northwestern city of Urumqi,
offered his prayer early today at a temporary mosque set up in
the hotel, Pakistani officials said.
Pakistan`s Ambassador to China Masood Khan said Zardari
could have been in Islamabad or Karachi, but he chose to be
here to celebrate the occasion with the people of Xinjiang and
the people of China.
"Eid is very important to Muslims, and it`s celebrated
among relatives and close friends," Khan said, adding, "We
always describe Chinese and Pakistanis as good friends, good
neighbours, but as the president comes here, the relationship
is almost as good relatives because he spent this Eid with the
people of China."
Security was tight in Urumqi. Armed police and an
armoured vehicle guarded the Yindu Hotel where Zardari stayed.
The Pakistani president will deliver a speech at the
first China-Eurasia Expo, which officially opens tomorrow,
expo organisers said.
Xinjiang has over 10 million Muslim Uyghurs and the
province has been witnessing tensions between Uyghurs and
Chinese mainland Hans for the past few years.
About 200 people were killed and hundreds injured in
riots in 2009.
China recently alleged that the leaders of the group of
East Turkistan Islamic Movement (ETIM), who took part in the
attacks in Kashghar city, were trained in Pakistan terrorist
Ramadan went off without any major incidents in Xinjiang.
Besides Uyghurs, China has over 10 million Muslims in
Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015