Zawahiri calls for Algeria revolution in new video
Washington: Al-Qaeda leader Ayman
al-Zawahiri called on Algerians to overthrow the government of President Abdelaziz Bouteflika, and praised Libyan rebels for seizing Tripoli, in a new video.
Osama bin Laden`s successor Zawahiri urged Libyans to adopt sharia law as they rebuild the country after the NATO-backed rebels` ouster of longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi.
"The first thing that this NATO will ask of you is to
relinquish your Islam," Zawahiri said according to a
translation provided by US monitoring service SITE, dismissing
the military alliance as a "Western gang".
"Be careful of the plots of the West and its henchmen
while you are building your new state. Don`t allow them to
deceive you and steal your sacrifices and suffering."
Zawahiri, wearing white, was shown sitting in a
cloth-covered chair in front of a green backdrop in the
13-minute video released on extremist forums yesterday, SITE
The veteran Egyptian militant and long-time Al-Qaeda
number two took over the jihadist network after bin Laden was
killed in a clandestine raid by US Navy commandos in Pakistan
on May 2.
"And if I congratulated our people in Libya for their
victory over the tyrant, I call upon our people in Algeria to
follow their footsteps," Zawahiri said in the video.
"Here are your brothers in Tunisia and then in Libya
having thrown out the two tyrants to the trash can of history,
so why don`t you revolt against your tyrant?"
Bouteflika`s government has faced protests resembling
those that ousted neighbouring Tunisia`s dictator Zine El
Abidine Ben Ali, but the protest movement has been
successfully contained by security forces.
The video is the latest in which the militant chief, who
is now Washington`s most wanted man, has attempted to seize on
the "Arab Spring" revolutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened