Zero-alcohol drink-drive limit looms in the UK
London: Drivers in the UK face a drastic
reduction in the limit of drinks they can consume before
taking to the wheels even as the authorities gear to impose
Sir Peter North, the government adviser on alcohol
limits has championed a reduction from 80mg to 50mg
immediately, but suggested that in future the government might
want a further cut to 20mg.
This level is seen as effectively banning any drinking
before driving because it allows only for levels of alcohol
that occur from a dose of cough medicine, a mouthful of
Communion wine or a bowlful of sherry trifle.
The legal limit is currently around two pints of
normal-strength beer (4 per cent) or about 250ml glass of 12
per cent wine.
Sir Peter, who was asked to review the law by the
former Labour, transport secretary Lord Adonis, said he did
not want to recommend a limit of 20mg because he doubted the
public would support it.
But he admitted that the chief recommendation in his
report "may be a precursor to a later move down to 20mg. You
have got to bring the public with you," he said.
"It may be in time we go from 50mg to 20mg.
It may be that in the fullness of time that the
country is prepared for a step forward.
But it is very important to carry the law-abiding
community with you."
He said 12-month driving ban for drink driving should
be maintained for the new 50mg limit.
Even at this level, Sir Peter said, most drivers could
have a glass of wine or a pint of beer, although alcohol
tolerance varies with body weight.
An official spokesman said "Just because we are
looking at the recommendations does not mean we will bring
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark