Zimbabwe bookseller arrested over PM`s biography
Johannesburg: A bookshop owner in the resort
town of Victoria Falls has been arrested for selling Prime
Minister Morgan Tsvangirai`s new autobiography, the Premier`s
party said on Saturday.
Police raided Rosepet Bookshop on Tuesday and confiscated
10 copies of the book, "At the Deep End", the Movement for
Democratic Change said in a statement.
"At the police station, the police had planted some
subversive material, red cards and small MDC flags inside all
10 books," the party said.
Red is the MDC`s trademark colour, and red cards are used
at rallies to call for the removal of long-ruling President
Robert Mugabe and his ZANU-PF party.
"One of the subversive materials has a list of 11 ZANU-PF
officials, including President Mugabe, which claims that they
should be eliminated," the statement added.
Sinekiwe Matore, the shop`s owner, was arrested, it said.
Police declined to comment on the case.
Tsvangirai and Mugabe formed a unity government nearly
three years ago, following failed elections in 2008.
The country erupted in violence when Tsvangirai won the
first round of the presidential vote, with rights groups
estimating that 200 of his supporters were killed. He pulled
out of the run-off in hopes of stemming the violence.
Despite the unity government, Tsvangirai`s supporters --
including top ministers -- are routinely arrested and
The unity government is meant to oversee the drafting of
a new constitution that will lead to fresh elections, but the
process is running nearly two years behind schedule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi