Zimbabwe bookseller arrested over PM`s biography
Johannesburg: A bookshop owner in the resort
town of Victoria Falls has been arrested for selling Prime
Minister Morgan Tsvangirai`s new autobiography, the Premier`s
party said on Saturday.
Police raided Rosepet Bookshop on Tuesday and confiscated
10 copies of the book, "At the Deep End", the Movement for
Democratic Change said in a statement.
"At the police station, the police had planted some
subversive material, red cards and small MDC flags inside all
10 books," the party said.
Red is the MDC`s trademark colour, and red cards are used
at rallies to call for the removal of long-ruling President
Robert Mugabe and his ZANU-PF party.
"One of the subversive materials has a list of 11 ZANU-PF
officials, including President Mugabe, which claims that they
should be eliminated," the statement added.
Sinekiwe Matore, the shop`s owner, was arrested, it said.
Police declined to comment on the case.
Tsvangirai and Mugabe formed a unity government nearly
three years ago, following failed elections in 2008.
The country erupted in violence when Tsvangirai won the
first round of the presidential vote, with rights groups
estimating that 200 of his supporters were killed. He pulled
out of the run-off in hopes of stemming the violence.
Despite the unity government, Tsvangirai`s supporters --
including top ministers -- are routinely arrested and
The unity government is meant to oversee the drafting of
a new constitution that will lead to fresh elections, but the
process is running nearly two years behind schedule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy