Zimbabwe militants block US envoy`s meeting
Harare: Police and supporters of Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe`s party blocked a meeting where US Ambassador Charles Ray said Thursday he was supposed to talk with a group of young people.
Police had granted approval for the meeting in the mining town of Kwekwe, but at the last minute revoked their decision, Ray said in a statement.
"The police in Kwekwe refused to allow the event to go forward," Ray said.
"It is regrettable that elements of the security sector and some political parties remain afraid of allowing a free exchange of ideas and have yet again shown themselves intent on barring members of the public from engaging in genuine dialogue."
Under Zimbabwe`s security laws, meetings of five or more people require police approval.
Militants overran the meeting, distributing flyers in support of Mugabe, a US embassy official said.
"Youth went around distributing fliers and saying the meeting should not go head as it coincided with the burial of a national hero," the official said.
One of the fliers thanked Mugabe for "giving us land, mines, black empowerment. Charles Ray, you are a little American major".
Supporters of Mugabe`s ZANU-PF party have repeatedly disrupted political meetings across the country, particularly targeting outreach programmes meant to gather views on a new constitution ahead of new elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea