‘Zuma spokesman took bribe from French arms maker’
Johannesburg: A spokesman for South African President Jacob Zuma is said to have received bribes from French weapons maker Thales, which is at the centre of an arms deal probe, The Sunday Times reported.
The then Transport Minister Mac Maharaj was paid 1.2 million French francs through an offshore bank account registered in his wife`s name, before Thales was awarded a credit card licence contract, according to the newspaper`s investigation.
Zuma`s former financial adviser and convicted fraudster Shabir Shaik`s Swiss bank account was used as a conduit by Thales to channel the money into Maharaj`s wife`s bank account, the newspaper alleged.
The payments were said to have been made between 1997 and 1999, when Maharaj, now a Zuma spokesman, was Transport Minister.
Shaik, was in 2005 sentenced to 15 years in prison for his role in soliciting bribes to Zuma prior to the awarding of arms contracts to Thales.
He has since been released on medical parole.
Over the last decade, South Africa has spent about USD5 billion to modernise its military, in a deal that included the purchase of 12 trainer Hawk jets and naval patrol boats from five European groups, including BAE systems and Thales, which was then known as Thomson-CSF.
The arms purchase has been clouded by allegations of bribery to senior government officials and blemished South Africa`s young democracy.
Last month government appointed a commission of inquiry to investigate claims of corruption in the awarding of the country`s largest military contracts.
The commission would have the power to subpoena witnesses including Zuma, recommend legal action against individuals involved and even cancel contracts, the justice minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre