Zuma unveils memorial site dedicated to Mandela
Pretoria: South African President Jacob Zuma has unveiled a memorial site dedicated to Nelson Mandela in Howick, where he was arrested in 1962.
Marking the fateful day of August 5, 1962, Zuma, who unveiled Madiba`s statue on Saturday, reiterated that the monument should speak to all like a "sacred shrine" and a place that must be treated with the utmost respect.
He said the arrest of Mandela, often known as Madiba, in Howick had automatically turned the town into a heritage site and it would help raise awareness about the historic injustice meted out by the racist apartheid regime while also promoting tourism and job creation.
"We must encourage generations to visit this place to see Madiba`s last point as a free man, those who do so, will be inspired by the sacrifice, commitment and dedication to this country and its people," Zuma said.
"Children in particular should be encouraged to visit the various liberation heritage sites around the country so that they can know and understand their country`s rich political history and its national heroes," he said.
The South African president said that the occasion gave all of them an immense sense of pride and joy as it was a reminder of the rich political heritage of the country.
"Madiba has achieved a lot in his 94 years of life, although he has always remained modest and humble. Today we celebrate that sterling and visionary leadership that he displayed even in most trying conditions during the struggle for liberation. We celebrate lessons from Madiba one of which is humble leadership," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed