In Manipur, where the over three-month-long economic blockade has hit life, among the most popular form of campaigning for the March assembly polls is the unique 'Athenpot Thinba' or flag hoisting ceremony.
North East News
Security has been beefed up ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit here to address a public rally in favour of BJP candidates for the upcoming Manipur Assembly elections.
Dangwimsai Pul is seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation probe into allegations levelled by late Kalikho Pul in the suicide note.
Armed militant`s involvement in the upcoming State Assembly Election is now clear, as well equipped cadres on Wednesday ambushed advance security team which were on their way to make free passage for the VIPs and VVIPs of Deputy Chief here.
Despite fatwa issued against her for contesting election, Manipur's first Muslim woman candidate Najima Bibi said she wants to continue her fight against domestic violence and work for uplift of Muslim women.
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu has announced raising pension for differently abled people under Chief Minister's Disability Pension Scheme.
Shurhozelie Liezietsu was on Wednesday sworn in as the Chief Minister of Nagaland by Governor P B Acharya here.
The politics of poll bound Manipur may revolve around the economic blockade, but women traders of Mother's market here want their shops damaged in an earthquake a year ago to be repaired soon.
Shurhozelie Liezietsu will be the 17th Chief Minister of Nagaland.
Chairman of the outlawed Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) Champion R Sangma was released on bail from Shillong district jail on Wednesday.
Manipur Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam on Tuesday escaped an assassination attempt in Tamenglong district when militants attacked his cavalcade. Police suspect a tribal militant outfit to be behind the attack.
The agitating tribal groups in Nagaland on Tuesday withdrew their indefinite shutdown on government offices and plying of government vehicles on the road, following the resignation of Chief Minister T.R. Zeliang on Sunday.
Congress on Monday said it would urge the Centre to provide constitutional safeguards for the territorial integrity of Manipur, if voted back to power.
He was today invited by Governor PB Acharya to form the next government after he emerged as the unanimous choice for the post and formally staked his claim.
An eminent scholar, Shurhozelie Liezitsu is one of the most decorated educationists in the Angami literature (the native language of the Angami tribe).
Naga People`s Front (NPF) leader Shurhozelie Liezietsu was on Monday elected the new legislature party leader of the ruling Democratic Alliance to be the new Nagaland Chief Minister.
Naga People`s Front leader Shurhozelie Liezietsu was on Monday elected the new legislature party leader of the ruling Democratic Alliance.
Once a force to reckon with in Manipur politics, the CPI and CPI(M) are fighting the Assembly election to regain their lost ground in the state.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday extended his greetings and wished state of Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram on their Statehood Day, expressing his desire to see development usher into the states.
The likely successor of Nagaland Chief Minister TR Zeliang, who resigned on Sunday, will be chosen on Monday to lead the Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) coalition government in the north-eastern state.
The Congress Party has reportedly called for an urgent meeting on Monday to decide the next chief minister.
Asserting confidence over marking victory in Uttar Pradesh, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said that no one can point finger at the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders for corruption.
A total of 168 candidates are left in the fray for the first phase of polls in Manipur in 38 Assembly constituencies.
Though women voters outnumber men in the electoral rolls in Manipur, only a small number of them have featured in the candidate lists of political parties in the upcoming state Assembly elections here.
Activist Irom Sharmila, who is making her electoral debut in the Manipur polls, today said she has not given up her fight against controversial law AFSPA but only changed her strategy.
With severe shortage of funds and manpower, Irom Sharmila's party Peoples' Resurgence and Justice Alliance (PRJA) has taken to online crowdfunding to raise funds and campaigning on cycle to reach out to the masses.
The Trinamool Congress on Saturday said it would raise in Parliament the issue of ongoing economic blockade in Manipur and already urged the Election Commission to take action to lift the blockade.
Over 1,500 Congress activists including party`s senior leaders were arrested on Friday after they participated in a civil disobedience movement in support of their 12-point demands.
With Manipur facing an indefinite economic blockade imposed by UNC, Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh today said the state belongs to all ethnic groups and majority should not disturb the minority or vice-versa.
Wife of former Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Kalikho Pul, who committed suicide last year, today demanded a CBI probe into his death.
- India's first traffic robot introduced in Indore
- Martyr Kashmiri cop Firoz Dar's poem on Facebook goes viral
- DNA: Analysing Anil Kumble's exit statement as India coach
- J&K: Three LeT terrorists killed in Pulwama
- Two injured in firing outside Jalandhar mall
- DNA: Analysis of life taking speed breakers
- All you need to know about operation 'All Out' in J&K
- Agra: Drunk policeman creates ruckus, assaults hotel staff
- Prez poll: Kovind files nomination; Meira Kumar to challenge him
- Lucknow: 7-year-old girl dies after iron gate of UP Secretariat falls on her
- Srinagar: Police officer lynched by mob outside Jamia mosque
- ISRO's PSLV-C38 places Cartosat-2 along with 30 nano satellites in orbit
- DNA: Today in History, June 21, 2016
- DNA: Analysing the power of yoga
- Presidential election: JD(U) supports NDA pick Ram Nath Kovind
- Bihar Board 10th result 2017: BSEB 10th result 2017/Matric result 2017 declared, check biharboard.ac.in; overall pass percentage is 50.12
- NEET Result 2017: NEET exam result 2017 declared, check cbseresults.nic.in, cbseneet.nic.in; Navdeep Singh from Punjab tops
- Countdown begins as ISRO set to launch Cartosat-2 with 30 nano satellites Friday
- BJP leader Bandi Ramesh hacked to death in Karnataka's Ballari
- Day of retirements for New Zealand: Black Caps lose Luke Ronchi, Jeetan Patel on same day
- Virat Kohli vs Anil Kumble: Batting great Sunil Gavaskar demands clarification from India captain
- Tubelight movie review: Even Salman Khan's star power isn’t bright enough to illuminate Kabir Khan's film!
- ISRO successfully plants Cartosat-2 with 30 nano satellites in orbit - This is what PM Modi has to say!
- LIVE: IND vs WI, 1st ODI — Excellent start by India openers
- Virat Kohli's favourite Ravi Shastri to apply for India job only under one condition
- Srinagar cop stripped naked, stoned to death by angry mob outside Jamia Masjid; 2 arrested
- Allahabad High Court quashes Uttar Pradesh govt order, reinstates six Shia Waqf Board members
- China funding Pakistan's mega dam in Pak-occupied Kashmir?
- Government announces names of 30 more smart cities; Thiruvanathapuram tops list
- WATCH: The Great Khali's protegee Kavita Devi makes history, all set to become first Indian woman ever to fight in WWE