Human rights activist Irom Sharmila plans to get married after the upcoming assembly elections in Manipur in March.
North East News
Welcoming Indira Oinam to the party fold, Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh expressed confidence that her joining would bolster the Congress.
Kalikho Pul allegedly committed suicide on August 9, 2016, at his official residence.
Activist Irom Sharmila, better known as the 'Iron lady of Manipur', rode a bicycle for nearly 20 kilometres to file nomination for Thoubal Assembly seat in the upcoming Manipur Assembly Elections 2017.
`Iron Lady` Irom Sharmila on Thursday filed her nomination papers to contest from Thoubal constituency in the Manipur assembly elections.
BJP leader and former minister N Biren today urged for ?speedy disposal" of several pending fake encounter cases to provide justice to the people of Manipur.
Territorial integrity of the ancient kingdom of Manipur that had merged with India and the recurring economic blockades by tribal groups are the major issues in Manipur where the upcoming assembly polls are witnessing a close battle between the ruling Congress and the opposition BJP.
Protests erupted across Assam, including Guwahati, on a girl's Facebook post about allegedly being molested in Jorhat town by a group of motorbike riding youths and a state minister's reaction to her posting. Public meetings, rallies and signature campaigns were held against helmet wearing youths allegedly groping, harassing and verbally abusing the girl in Jorhat last week.
Tripura`s Information and Cultural Affairs Minister Bhanulal Saha on Wednesday said the government will not tolerate protests at a book fair, after a Hindutva group shouted slogans and demonstrated against a book on Jammu and Kashmir at the fair.
Scrutiny of papers for the first phase of elections will be held on February 16 and the last date of withdrawal is on February 18.
The North East Frontier Railway and Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) have jointly launched the 'Astha Circuit Tourist Train' for the people of North East.
The BJP today said the party would intensify movement in Tripura to oust the 'corrupt' Left Front government in the next Assembly elections scheduled to be held in February next year.
BJP on Tuesday claimed Congress is not in contention in 20 of the 60 seats in poll-bound Manipur.
Over 30,000 examinees, who have been exempted from the purview of the ongoing bandh in Nagaland, are appearing for their Higher Secondary and class XI promotion exams beginning today.
While the BJP and its parent organisation RSS has heaped praise on MoS Kiren Rijiju, the main opposition party Congress has demanded the Election Commission to initiate strict action against him for his remarks on depleting Hindu population in the country.
The bandh called by Nagaland Tribes Action Committee (NTAC) Kohima and Joint Coordination Committee (JCC) demanding Chief Minister T R Zeliang's resignation affected normal life in Nagaland today even as no untoward incident was reported.
Manipur is going to elect a new 60-member Assembly in two phases on March 4 and 8.
Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju lashed out at Congress for saying that the BJP government is "trying to convert Arunachal Pradesh into a Hindu state".
A mild earthquake, measuring 4.5 on the Richter scale, rocked Meghalaya and its neighbouring states on Sunday, an official said.
These flights would be operated from a separate terminal for civilians, which is almost ready, at the Advanced Landing Ground (ALG).
The Joint Coordination Committee (JCC) has decided to intensify the ongoing bandh for an indefinite period from Monday since Nagaland Chief Minister TR Zeliang refused to step down as demanded.
Phungzathang Tonsing, a veteran Congress leader of Manipur, has resigned from the primary membership of Congress.
Along with Tripura, separate High Courts were also set up in Manipur and Meghalaya in 2013.
Notification for the second phase polling on March 8 to 22 assembly seats in Manipur was issued today.
The BJP today announced names of candidates for the two remaining seats for the 60-member Manipur Assembly elections to be held next month.
At least 50 persons were on Wednesday injured in Tripura when members of ruling and opposition parties brawled during a 12-hour shutdown jointly called by three tribal parties against the Centre`s citizenship bill, police said.
The United Naga Council, after tripartite talks in New Delhi failed to break the logjam, said on Tuesday it will continue with its indefinite economic blockade of Manipur to protest the creation of seven new districts which affects the local Naga residents.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Central Election Commission (CEC) on Tuesday released the third list of two candidates for Manipur Legislative Assembly polls.
The process of assembly elections in Manipur begins today with the issuance of notification for the first phase.
The election authorities have recovered Rs 104.61 crore illegal cash and drugs and liquor worth over Rs 46 crore aimed at influencing voters in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Manipur.
- India's first traffic robot introduced in Indore
- Martyr Kashmiri cop Firoz Dar's poem on Facebook goes viral
- DNA: Analysing Anil Kumble's exit statement as India coach
- J&K: Three LeT terrorists killed in Pulwama
- Two injured in firing outside Jalandhar mall
- DNA: Analysis of life taking speed breakers
- All you need to know about operation 'All Out' in J&K
- Agra: Drunk policeman creates ruckus, assaults hotel staff
- Prez poll: Kovind files nomination; Meira Kumar to challenge him
- Lucknow: 7-year-old girl dies after iron gate of UP Secretariat falls on her
- Srinagar: Police officer lynched by mob outside Jamia mosque
- ISRO's PSLV-C38 places Cartosat-2 along with 30 nano satellites in orbit
- DNA: Today in History, June 21, 2016
- DNA: Analysing the power of yoga
- Presidential election: JD(U) supports NDA pick Ram Nath Kovind
- Bihar Board 10th result 2017: BSEB 10th result 2017/Matric result 2017 declared, check biharboard.ac.in; overall pass percentage is 50.12
- NEET Result 2017: NEET exam result 2017 declared, check cbseresults.nic.in, cbseneet.nic.in; Navdeep Singh from Punjab tops
- Countdown begins as ISRO set to launch Cartosat-2 with 30 nano satellites Friday
- BJP leader Bandi Ramesh hacked to death in Karnataka's Ballari
- Day of retirements for New Zealand: Black Caps lose Luke Ronchi, Jeetan Patel on same day
- Virat Kohli vs Anil Kumble: Batting great Sunil Gavaskar demands clarification from India captain
- Tubelight movie review: Even Salman Khan's star power isn’t bright enough to illuminate Kabir Khan's film!
- ISRO successfully plants Cartosat-2 with 30 nano satellites in orbit - This is what PM Modi has to say!
- LIVE: IND vs WI, 1st ODI — Excellent start by India openers
- Virat Kohli's favourite Ravi Shastri to apply for India job only under one condition
- Srinagar cop stripped naked, stoned to death by angry mob outside Jamia Masjid; 2 arrested
- Allahabad High Court quashes Uttar Pradesh govt order, reinstates six Shia Waqf Board members
- China funding Pakistan's mega dam in Pak-occupied Kashmir?
- Government announces names of 30 more smart cities; Thiruvanathapuram tops list
- WATCH: The Great Khali's protegee Kavita Devi makes history, all set to become first Indian woman ever to fight in WWE