Chairman of the outlawed Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) Champion R Sangma was released on bail from Shillong district jail on Wednesday.
North East News
Manipur Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam on Tuesday escaped an assassination attempt in Tamenglong district when militants attacked his cavalcade. Police suspect a tribal militant outfit to be behind the attack.
The agitating tribal groups in Nagaland on Tuesday withdrew their indefinite shutdown on government offices and plying of government vehicles on the road, following the resignation of Chief Minister T.R. Zeliang on Sunday.
Congress on Monday said it would urge the Centre to provide constitutional safeguards for the territorial integrity of Manipur, if voted back to power.
He was today invited by Governor PB Acharya to form the next government after he emerged as the unanimous choice for the post and formally staked his claim.
An eminent scholar, Shurhozelie Liezitsu is one of the most decorated educationists in the Angami literature (the native language of the Angami tribe).
Naga People`s Front (NPF) leader Shurhozelie Liezietsu was on Monday elected the new legislature party leader of the ruling Democratic Alliance to be the new Nagaland Chief Minister.
Naga People`s Front leader Shurhozelie Liezietsu was on Monday elected the new legislature party leader of the ruling Democratic Alliance.
Once a force to reckon with in Manipur politics, the CPI and CPI(M) are fighting the Assembly election to regain their lost ground in the state.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday extended his greetings and wished state of Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram on their Statehood Day, expressing his desire to see development usher into the states.
The likely successor of Nagaland Chief Minister TR Zeliang, who resigned on Sunday, will be chosen on Monday to lead the Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) coalition government in the north-eastern state.
The Congress Party has reportedly called for an urgent meeting on Monday to decide the next chief minister.
Asserting confidence over marking victory in Uttar Pradesh, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said that no one can point finger at the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders for corruption.
A total of 168 candidates are left in the fray for the first phase of polls in Manipur in 38 Assembly constituencies.
Though women voters outnumber men in the electoral rolls in Manipur, only a small number of them have featured in the candidate lists of political parties in the upcoming state Assembly elections here.
Activist Irom Sharmila, who is making her electoral debut in the Manipur polls, today said she has not given up her fight against controversial law AFSPA but only changed her strategy.
With severe shortage of funds and manpower, Irom Sharmila's party Peoples' Resurgence and Justice Alliance (PRJA) has taken to online crowdfunding to raise funds and campaigning on cycle to reach out to the masses.
The Trinamool Congress on Saturday said it would raise in Parliament the issue of ongoing economic blockade in Manipur and already urged the Election Commission to take action to lift the blockade.
Over 1,500 Congress activists including party`s senior leaders were arrested on Friday after they participated in a civil disobedience movement in support of their 12-point demands.
With Manipur facing an indefinite economic blockade imposed by UNC, Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh today said the state belongs to all ethnic groups and majority should not disturb the minority or vice-versa.
Wife of former Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Kalikho Pul, who committed suicide last year, today demanded a CBI probe into his death.
Human rights activist Irom Sharmila plans to get married after the upcoming assembly elections in Manipur in March.
Welcoming Indira Oinam to the party fold, Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh expressed confidence that her joining would bolster the Congress.
Kalikho Pul allegedly committed suicide on August 9, 2016, at his official residence.
Activist Irom Sharmila, better known as the 'Iron lady of Manipur', rode a bicycle for nearly 20 kilometres to file nomination for Thoubal Assembly seat in the upcoming Manipur Assembly Elections 2017.
`Iron Lady` Irom Sharmila on Thursday filed her nomination papers to contest from Thoubal constituency in the Manipur assembly elections.
BJP leader and former minister N Biren today urged for ?speedy disposal" of several pending fake encounter cases to provide justice to the people of Manipur.
Territorial integrity of the ancient kingdom of Manipur that had merged with India and the recurring economic blockades by tribal groups are the major issues in Manipur where the upcoming assembly polls are witnessing a close battle between the ruling Congress and the opposition BJP.
Protests erupted across Assam, including Guwahati, on a girl's Facebook post about allegedly being molested in Jorhat town by a group of motorbike riding youths and a state minister's reaction to her posting. Public meetings, rallies and signature campaigns were held against helmet wearing youths allegedly groping, harassing and verbally abusing the girl in Jorhat last week.
Tripura`s Information and Cultural Affairs Minister Bhanulal Saha on Wednesday said the government will not tolerate protests at a book fair, after a Hindutva group shouted slogans and demonstrated against a book on Jammu and Kashmir at the fair.
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- BMC elections: BJP-Shiv Sena contesting separately for first time in 20 years
- Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes for tainted SP minister Gayatri Prajapati raises questions
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Global Investors' Summit: In conversation with Jharkhand CM Raghubar Das
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Air pollution claims two Indian lives every minute: Study
- PM Modi may hold a road show in Varanasi on March 3
- Opposition attacks PM Modi over his controversial statement
- DNA: Analysis of the danger and threat to human life due to air pollution
- DNA: Today in History | February 20, 2017
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- MS Dhoni set to lead Jharkhand in 2017 Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Enjoy Jio 4G on your 2G/3G phone at only Rs 1,999 only
- Amar Singh makes explosive claim, says Mulayam scripted Samajwadi Party family feud to help Akhilesh
- Kota: Fire breaks out at petrol pump in Rajasthan
- Zakir Naik's Dawood Ibrahim and Pakistan connection - Underworld don funded his NGO through hawala
- Indian Premier League 10: Mohammad Azharuddin calls MS Dhoni's sacking as RPS captain a 'third-rate decision'
- #IPL2017auction: Ben Stokes hogs limelight, goes to Rising Pune Supergiants for massive Rs 14.5 crore