The Congress Party has reportedly called for an urgent meeting on Monday to decide the next chief minister.
North East News
Asserting confidence over marking victory in Uttar Pradesh, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said that no one can point finger at the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders for corruption.
A total of 168 candidates are left in the fray for the first phase of polls in Manipur in 38 Assembly constituencies.
Though women voters outnumber men in the electoral rolls in Manipur, only a small number of them have featured in the candidate lists of political parties in the upcoming state Assembly elections here.
Activist Irom Sharmila, who is making her electoral debut in the Manipur polls, today said she has not given up her fight against controversial law AFSPA but only changed her strategy.
With severe shortage of funds and manpower, Irom Sharmila's party Peoples' Resurgence and Justice Alliance (PRJA) has taken to online crowdfunding to raise funds and campaigning on cycle to reach out to the masses.
The Trinamool Congress on Saturday said it would raise in Parliament the issue of ongoing economic blockade in Manipur and already urged the Election Commission to take action to lift the blockade.
Over 1,500 Congress activists including party`s senior leaders were arrested on Friday after they participated in a civil disobedience movement in support of their 12-point demands.
With Manipur facing an indefinite economic blockade imposed by UNC, Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh today said the state belongs to all ethnic groups and majority should not disturb the minority or vice-versa.
Wife of former Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Kalikho Pul, who committed suicide last year, today demanded a CBI probe into his death.
Human rights activist Irom Sharmila plans to get married after the upcoming assembly elections in Manipur in March.
Welcoming Indira Oinam to the party fold, Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh expressed confidence that her joining would bolster the Congress.
Kalikho Pul allegedly committed suicide on August 9, 2016, at his official residence.
Activist Irom Sharmila, better known as the 'Iron lady of Manipur', rode a bicycle for nearly 20 kilometres to file nomination for Thoubal Assembly seat in the upcoming Manipur Assembly Elections 2017.
`Iron Lady` Irom Sharmila on Thursday filed her nomination papers to contest from Thoubal constituency in the Manipur assembly elections.
BJP leader and former minister N Biren today urged for ?speedy disposal" of several pending fake encounter cases to provide justice to the people of Manipur.
Territorial integrity of the ancient kingdom of Manipur that had merged with India and the recurring economic blockades by tribal groups are the major issues in Manipur where the upcoming assembly polls are witnessing a close battle between the ruling Congress and the opposition BJP.
Protests erupted across Assam, including Guwahati, on a girl's Facebook post about allegedly being molested in Jorhat town by a group of motorbike riding youths and a state minister's reaction to her posting. Public meetings, rallies and signature campaigns were held against helmet wearing youths allegedly groping, harassing and verbally abusing the girl in Jorhat last week.
Tripura`s Information and Cultural Affairs Minister Bhanulal Saha on Wednesday said the government will not tolerate protests at a book fair, after a Hindutva group shouted slogans and demonstrated against a book on Jammu and Kashmir at the fair.
Scrutiny of papers for the first phase of elections will be held on February 16 and the last date of withdrawal is on February 18.
The North East Frontier Railway and Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) have jointly launched the 'Astha Circuit Tourist Train' for the people of North East.
The BJP today said the party would intensify movement in Tripura to oust the 'corrupt' Left Front government in the next Assembly elections scheduled to be held in February next year.
BJP on Tuesday claimed Congress is not in contention in 20 of the 60 seats in poll-bound Manipur.
Over 30,000 examinees, who have been exempted from the purview of the ongoing bandh in Nagaland, are appearing for their Higher Secondary and class XI promotion exams beginning today.
While the BJP and its parent organisation RSS has heaped praise on MoS Kiren Rijiju, the main opposition party Congress has demanded the Election Commission to initiate strict action against him for his remarks on depleting Hindu population in the country.
The bandh called by Nagaland Tribes Action Committee (NTAC) Kohima and Joint Coordination Committee (JCC) demanding Chief Minister T R Zeliang's resignation affected normal life in Nagaland today even as no untoward incident was reported.
Manipur is going to elect a new 60-member Assembly in two phases on March 4 and 8.
Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju lashed out at Congress for saying that the BJP government is "trying to convert Arunachal Pradesh into a Hindu state".
A mild earthquake, measuring 4.5 on the Richter scale, rocked Meghalaya and its neighbouring states on Sunday, an official said.
These flights would be operated from a separate terminal for civilians, which is almost ready, at the Advanced Landing Ground (ALG).
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Pakistan claims to kill 100 terrorists after suicide bomb attack in Sindh Dargah
- Bengaluru: Report on evolution of poisonous froth in Bellandur lake
- Analysis of injustice in Delhi bomb blast case - Report
- Violent chaos in Tamil Nadu Assembly during floor test
- Panel discussion on Priyanka Gandhi calling PM Modi an outsider in UP
- UP Assembly Elections: Over 61% turnout in phase three polling
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: NonStop News
- DNA: Analysing the daredevil aerobatics, fighter jets from Aero India Show 2017
- Analysing the credibility of Pakistan's claim for operating against terrorists - Part II
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- IND A vs Australia, Warm-up tie, Day 3 - As it happened
- Malayalam actress Bhavana allegedly kidnapped, molested; driver held
- RPS owner Sanjeev Goenka reveals reason behind replacing MS Dhoni with Steve Smith as captain
- Neil Nitin Mukesh's reception: Salman Khan, Katrina Kaif, Iulia Vantur and other B-Towners make it a starry affair!
- IPL 2017: MS Dhoni replaced as Rising Pune Supergiants captain; Australia's Steve Smith named new skipper
- BWF Rankings: Ace shuttler PV Sindhu becomes second Indian to break into top 5
- SpaceX blasts off Falcon 9 rocket from NASA launchpad
- Shah Rukh Khan wins hearts once again, arranges food for hungry beggar! - Watch