At least 16 people were killed on Sunday when a truck they were in rammed into the concrete barricade of a road in Meghalayas West Khasi Hills district, police said.
North East News
Having already earned the distinction of being free from open defecation, alcohol, tobacco and drugs, this tiny village in Assam's Goalpara district now aims to go cashless.
In a bid to improve connectivity and to make northeast region a destination paradise, Indian Railway Catering And Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) and the North East Frontier Railway (NFR) recently launched the "Aastha Circuit Train" a special pilgrim train for the Northeastern region here.
Two separate quakes of varying magnitude hit India's northeastern region and Bangladesh on Saturday.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday assured the Manipur electorate that if the Bharatiya Janata Party is elected to power, then the party would do the development work that Congress did not do in the last 15 years.
PM Narendra Modi on Saturday addressed a rally in Manipur's Imphal. Here is FULL SPEECH VIDEO.
Earthquake measuring 5.2 on Richter scale hit Manipur on Thursday.
Police have intensified frisking all over the state capital to ensure that there was no loophole in the security arrangements for the Prime Minister's visit.
The apex body of six insurgent groups in Manipur, the Coordinating Committee (Corcom) has imposed a curfew from 6 am on Saturday.
Fist time voters in poll-bound Manipur want an end to the politics of blockades and bandhs and demand better educational and job opportunities in the state.
In Manipur, where the over three-month-long economic blockade has hit life, among the most popular form of campaigning for the March assembly polls is the unique 'Athenpot Thinba' or flag hoisting ceremony.
Security has been beefed up ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit here to address a public rally in favour of BJP candidates for the upcoming Manipur Assembly elections.
Dangwimsai Pul is seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation probe into allegations levelled by late Kalikho Pul in the suicide note.
Armed militant`s involvement in the upcoming State Assembly Election is now clear, as well equipped cadres on Wednesday ambushed advance security team which were on their way to make free passage for the VIPs and VVIPs of Deputy Chief here.
Despite fatwa issued against her for contesting election, Manipur's first Muslim woman candidate Najima Bibi said she wants to continue her fight against domestic violence and work for uplift of Muslim women.
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu has announced raising pension for differently abled people under Chief Minister's Disability Pension Scheme.
Shurhozelie Liezietsu was on Wednesday sworn in as the Chief Minister of Nagaland by Governor P B Acharya here.
The politics of poll bound Manipur may revolve around the economic blockade, but women traders of Mother's market here want their shops damaged in an earthquake a year ago to be repaired soon.
Shurhozelie Liezietsu will be the 17th Chief Minister of Nagaland.
Chairman of the outlawed Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) Champion R Sangma was released on bail from Shillong district jail on Wednesday.
Manipur Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam on Tuesday escaped an assassination attempt in Tamenglong district when militants attacked his cavalcade. Police suspect a tribal militant outfit to be behind the attack.
The agitating tribal groups in Nagaland on Tuesday withdrew their indefinite shutdown on government offices and plying of government vehicles on the road, following the resignation of Chief Minister T.R. Zeliang on Sunday.
Congress on Monday said it would urge the Centre to provide constitutional safeguards for the territorial integrity of Manipur, if voted back to power.
He was today invited by Governor PB Acharya to form the next government after he emerged as the unanimous choice for the post and formally staked his claim.
An eminent scholar, Shurhozelie Liezitsu is one of the most decorated educationists in the Angami literature (the native language of the Angami tribe).
Naga People`s Front (NPF) leader Shurhozelie Liezietsu was on Monday elected the new legislature party leader of the ruling Democratic Alliance to be the new Nagaland Chief Minister.
Naga People`s Front leader Shurhozelie Liezietsu was on Monday elected the new legislature party leader of the ruling Democratic Alliance.
Once a force to reckon with in Manipur politics, the CPI and CPI(M) are fighting the Assembly election to regain their lost ground in the state.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday extended his greetings and wished state of Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram on their Statehood Day, expressing his desire to see development usher into the states.
The likely successor of Nagaland Chief Minister TR Zeliang, who resigned on Sunday, will be chosen on Monday to lead the Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) coalition government in the north-eastern state.
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Gujarat ATS arrest two people for planning a bomb blast in Rajkot's Chotila temple
- Delhi twins drown in washing machine
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Why is religion used as a weapon against 'freedom of speech'?
- ABVP, SFI activists clash in Pune University; many injured
- DNA: Today in history, 25th February, 2017
- DNA: Seven Earth-like planets found around a single star
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to identify job opportunities in small cities?
- Thane crime branch arrest 18 people in Army recruitment paper leak case
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips bowlers apart to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh break-up? Here's what the 'Padmavati' star has to say!
- We win some and lose some, Sachin Tendulkar backs India to give Australia a strong reply in Bengaluru
- Delhi twins drown in washing machine after mother left them playing as she stepped out briefly
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS
- WATCH: Virat Kohli 'clean bowled' after being deceived by Australian talisman Steve O'Keefe
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight, he grabbed them during meal serving
- Harbhajan Singh reacts to India's humiliating loss, gets trolled by David Warner in return
- MS Dhoni slams 94-ball century against Chhattisgarh in Vijay Hazare Trophy