Yousuf Raza Gilani resigns from PPP`s vice-chairman post
Lahore: Former premier Yousuf Raza Gilani on Monday resigned from the post of vice-chairman of the Pakistan People`s Party, accepting responsibility for its resounding defeat in the general election.
"I am tendering the resignation on the basis of the election results," Gilani told a news conference in his hometown of Multan.
"The PPP did not want to contest the May 11 elections but President Asif Ali Zardari did not let us do so," he said.
However, he did not agree that voters "punished" the PPP for failing to tackle issues like power cuts and inflation.
"Time will tell about our government`s services for the country," he said. Gilani said the PPP could not run its election campaign properly because of security threats.
The PPP wanted to convene a public meeting in Multan on May 9 but could not do so due to security concerns while his son, Ali Haider, was abducted two days before the polls, he said.
Sources told PTI that Gilani had resigned from the party post because he wanted to maintain a low profile.
"Gilani`s son, Ali Haider, has been kidnapped and there is a threat to the other members of the Gilani family," a source said.
Police are yet to make a breakthrough in tracing Gilani`s son or his abductors. Last year, the Supreme court disqualified Gilani after convicting him of contempt for refusing to revive graft cases against President Asif Ali Zardari.
Gilani said his disqualification had been a "big blow" for the PPP. He said he had no differences with the PPP?s leadership but called for the party to be reorganised.
A new leadership should take on the responsibility of heading the party, he said. For now, the PPP had emerged as the second largest political party in the polls and would play the role of an active opposition, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj