Lajpat Nagar blast: Accused seek trial by transferred judge



New Delhi: The accused in the 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast case have approached a Delhi court seeking transfer of the matter to a judge who was earlier conducting the trial and was recently been transferred.

District and Sessions Judge G P Mittal, after taking the application into the records, has fixed the matter for order tomorrow.

The accused, including prime suspect Farooq Ahmed Khan, said Additional Sessions Judge M K Nagpal, who had been hearing the 13-year-old case for quite some time, has been transferred, which would further prolong the trial.

They claimed it was against the principles of natural justice and sought the transfer of the case to ASJ Nagpal for its speedy disposal.

Meanwhile, Additional Sessions Judge Chandra Gupta, who succeeded ASJ Nagpal, today recorded the statement of prosecution witness Sanjeev Kumar, the then Junior Telecom Officer Anantnag district of Jammu and Kashmir.

Kumar, recording his statement as 107th prosecution witness, said he had provided the telephone call details, allegedly of key accused Farooq Ahmed, to Jammu and Kashmir Police on May 23, 1996.

The call details allegedly helped the police in zeroing on the accused after the explosion that had rocked the crowded Central Market in Lajpat Nagar in south Delhi on the evening of May 21, 1996 which claimed 13 lives, besides injuring 39 people and setting ablaze 14 buildings.

Bureau Report