Pak’s response to Indian dossier next week: Malik
Islamabad: Pakistan has completed reviewing India’s latest dossier on the Mumbai terror attacks and will give its response next week, Interior Minister Rehman Malik said on Saturday.
Malik, who chaired a high-level meeting in the Interior Ministry to review the investigation into the Mumbai incident, expressed satisfaction at the progress made so far in the probe.
He was quoted by TV news channels as saying that Pakistan had completed the analysis of India’s latest dossier, which was handed over in August. A response to the dossier will be provided to India next week, Malik said.
Malik also directed officials to complete the probe into the Mumbai attacks as soon as possible in a transparent manner. He reiterated Pakistan’s determination to bring the perpetrators of the attacks to justice.
Minister of State for Law Afzal Sindhu, Federal Investigation Agency chief Tariq Khosa, Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir, senior officials of the Interior Ministry and sleuths conducting the probe into the Mumbai carnage attended the meeting.
Seven suspects arrested by Pakistani authorities, including Lashker-e-Toiba operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, are currently facing trial in an anti-terrorism court for alleged involvement in the Mumbai incident.
However, Pakistan has ruled out the possibility of arresting or prosecuting LeT founder Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, saying the evidence provided against him by India is inadequate.
The latest dossier provided by India contained information on Saeed’s links to the planning and execution of the attacks that killed nearly 180 people in November last year.
Indian Home Minister P Chidambaram told top US officials in Washington yesterday that Pakistan was not acting against perpetrators of the Mumbai terror attacks and that security threats from militant groups operating from across the Indian border have not diminished.