Girl dies, 60 take ill due to food poisoning in TN



Dharmapuri, TN: A 13-year-old girl died and 60 others took ill after suspected food poisoning at a colony, 34 km from here, Tuesday.

People at Thoppampatti colony were served food items of a marriage function on Monday. After few hours, they started vomitting and complained of loose motion and were admitted to a Primary Health centre, District Deputy Director, Health Services, Dr N Iyyanar said.

The 60, including 25 women and 13 children were given treatment and declared out of danger, he said.

A Medical team, which examined them, diagnosed that the cause of vomitting was due to food poisoning.

A 13-year-old A.Bhuwaneswari died today, Iyyanar said.

Collector P.Amudha said that as per medical report the incident occurred due to food poisoning. Water and food samples have been collected for examination.

A CPI-M MLA, P Dillybabu, claimed that it was consumption of contaminated water from water tanks that led to vomiting and diarrhoea and charged the district administration with having failed to clean the tanks.

PTI