Saranda operation: fresh securitymen to join



Jamshedpur: Fresh reinforcements were on Tuesday rushed to take on Maoists in Saranda forest in Jharkhand where an encounter left three securitymen and 12 ultras dead.

"The operation is on. Security personnel are engaged in the operation to flush out the Maoists," DIG (Kolhan range), Navin Kumar Singh, said, refuting reports that the offensive was called off.

“A new batch of securitymen is being inducted in the ongoing operation to give rest to the personnel fighting for the past four days," he said. "We have to detect Maoist dens in deep jungles and chalk out strategy accordingly before re-intensifying the operation," he said and added the forces have not yet been withdrawn completely from the jungle.

Three security personnel and 12 ultras had been killed since the beginning of the operation on Saturday. Bodies of four of the 12 Maoists were recovered while the rest were taken away by the Naxals, police said.

PTI