Pak Interior Ministry evacuated after bombing threat to Malik



Islamabad: Pakistani authorities on Monday evacuated the Interior Ministry after an anonymous caller threatened to carry out bomb attacks targeting Interior Minister Rehman Malik and his home.

All employees of the ministry were asked to leave the building located within the heavily guarded secretariat complex in the heart of the capital as a bomb disposal squad conducted a sweep.

Malik was in his office when officials received three threatening calls.

The bomb disposal squad did not find any bomb and Malik later returned to his office.

"I get many threats but I do not disclose them. Today the media found out about the threat because a sweep was being conducted (by the bomb disposal squad)," Malik told reporters.

The ruling Pakistan People's Party has made many sacrifices in the war on terror and is determined to wipe out militants, he said.

In one of the calls, the caller threatened to target Malik's home. The minister’s residence was also searched by the bomb disposal squad.

Officials said the Federal Investigation Agency had been asked to locate the anonymous caller.

Malik directed officials to submit a report on the incident by Tuesday.

PTI