Prasad flays Centre on permitting EU team in Binayak Sen case
New Delhi: Senior advocate and BJP leader
Ravi Shankar Prasad Monday criticised the Centre for
entertaining the plea of an European human rights delegation
to witness bail proceedings of prominent civil rights activist
Binayak Sen in the Chattisgarh High Court.
Terming the decision as "unfortunate" and "lack of
inherent trust in the country's judicial system," Prasad
regretted that the Centre did not protest against the request.
"It is unfortunate that the government of India and the
Ministry of External Affairs has not protested. It involves a
larger issue. The decision of the central government to an
international body in a pending case shows lack of inherent
trust in the country's strongest judicial system," he told
61-year-old Sen, a paediatrician by profession, was
convicted by a Chhattisgarh court for sedition and sentenced
to life along with Naxal ideologue Narayan Sanyal and Kolkata
businessman Piyush Guha.
His bail petition, which came up for hearing today in
the high court, has been adjourned till Tuesday.
Incidentally, eminent lawyer and BJP MP Ram Jethmalani
has announced that he would appear for Sen free of cost.
Prasad said the government did not reject the EU
delegation's plea and had instead referred the request to the
state which in turn had forwarded the same to the High Court.
The High Court had earlier in the day permitted the
delegation to witness the proceedings.
"It is surprising that the government did not lodge a
protest. What is the purpose of monitoring the court
proceedings? Our judicial system is one of the best in the
world. The PIL jurisdiction of our courts is the biggest
contribution to the world," he said.
According to the EU, it had earlier informed the MEA
that it intended to send representatives from its Delhi-based
missions of Belgium, Denmark, Germany, France, Hungary,
Sweden, the UK, and the EU, to attend the court hearing.