NATO troop killer was Afghan soldier: ISAF
Kabul: A Taliban suicide bomber who
killed five foreign and four Afghan soldiers in a weekend
attack in the east of the country was a member of the Afghan
army, NATO's coalition force said Monday.
The bomber detonated his explosives in an attack
Saturday on the army's eastern headquarters in the Gambiri
desert area in Laghman province, near Jalalabad city, the de
facto capital of Afghanistan's east.
"What we know so far is that the attacker, the suicide
bomber, was an Afghan National Army service member," a
spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance
Force (ISAF), Brigadier Josef Blotz, told reporters.
It was the deadliest single incident this year against
international forces in Afghanistan and comes amid a wave of
attacks by rogue security forces on their comrades, three
months before foreign troops start a limited pullback.
The blast came a day after the provincial police chief
of Kandahar in southern Afghanistan, Khan Mohammad Mujahid,
was killed in a suicide bombing carried out by an attacker in
The Taliban claimed responsibility for both attacks,
as well as for one today inside the defence ministry in Kabul
which killed two Afghan soldiers.
Blotz said both Afghan national security forces and
NATO were investigating the attack and the Afghan security
forces had pledged "even more rigorous efforts in order to
prevent such tragic incidents" happening in the future.